Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The word CHURCH

Today I was re-reading a chapter from the book The Andrew Paradigm.                                              
At least once a chapter the author, Bishop Michael J. Coyner, invites someone he considers to be a good example of a "Lead Follower" to respond to a question Jesus asks in Scripture.
During the Intro of Part I a young adult named Ben Boruff responses.

He writes, "A friend once asked me why I am a Christian.  I struggled to reply. My mind pictured church-related items such as pews and praise bands, but none of those things helped me explain why I am a Christian. There are many personal and theological reasons why I call myself a Christian, but at that moment I could only think of hymnals and acolyte sticks."
Boruff's response got me thinking:  What do you think when you hear the word CHURCH?  Do you think of pews and hymnals and acolyte sticks?  Do you think of the building where you worship?  Do you feel guilty? Happy? Angry? Peaceful? Hopeful? Joyful?
Do you think of the community of folks you worship with? Pray with? Eat with? Open up to and support?  Do you see the faces of the men and women who support you and keep you accountable? Who you support and keep accountable?
What do you think when you hear the word CHURCH?
Feel free to comment with your answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment